Sunday, July 21, 2013

Starting is scary. Restarting is fending off a pack of hungry dogs with a carrot.

        Alright, I need to write. I’ve been in a stuck in a rut for too long now, probably it’s a lot of the negative energy and feeling’s I’ve been holding on to lately. So, after a month of not writing to see if I still had the skills or the drive…oh, who am I kidding I’ve been making notes in 3 different note books and scanning through the freelance positions. 
Yeah, I like pink. And it's already full of scribbling.


       So now I need to force myself into a schedule. I’d love to say: “Yes, a thousand words a day minimum!” But that’s like saying, “Yes to train to run a 5k, I’ll start by jumping into that 2.5K tomorrow morning.” (Not sure if that’s how running works, but I’m sure it’s close enough.)

Seems legit.

Then smaller steps are needed:

1.      Read something new every day.

        Check! I downloaded Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith. Now I’d love to say that I did that before I knew it was Rowling, but I didn’t. And I probably would’ve missed this book otherwise and that would’ve been a shame.

       Also I have a ton of reading to do for an AP course I have to teach. Granted it’s my fault for assigning the work, but if I need to learn to not hate non-fiction, so do the kids.

 
2.      Look for inspiration wherever it strikes you.

         Check! Honestly most people know my unhealthy love of Skyrim, but I also have Dishonored and it’s DLC. I loved the silent protagonist Corvo and Daud in the DLC, in my version at least, is more the redeemed anti-hero/bad guy. It’s made me think and branch out into more urban and sci-fi stuff.


3.      Have fun.

        Well, yeah. We have trips planned. And games, but no more dynamite.

 
4.      Write something every day.


       Now here’s the tough part. An hour, 500 words, both? I have to let go of the rejections—it’s part of it—let go of the familiar and take more chances. I need to just get the words down, then I can make them better.

 
       And that’s part of where this comes into play. I need to force myself to write more, and better. Blogging is writing, and I’ve been really lazy with the blog. You’re all welcome to come along as I try to get better at this and get my work out there for others to read. I’m submitting, I’m writing, and driving the husband with “honey, could you listen to this?” So my goals: post here at least once a week, submit to at least 2 places a  month, and write until I get the story out. Come one, come all, let’s get this party started.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment